Empowering Lubbock women, and their families, to have positive experiences by providing evidence-based information and non-bias support through pregnancy, childbirth and the early postpartum period.
What is a Birth Doula?
Doula is a Greek word meaning "a woman who serves" and currently refers to a non-medical, professionally trained, support person who provides continuous physical, emotional and educational support to mothers and their birth companions throughout labor and childbirth.
Benefits of having a Doula:
- Labor time shortened by 25%
- Greater satisfaction with birthing experience
- Decreased Epidural request and use of analgesic (pain medication)
- Reduces the need for cesarean sections by 50%
- Reduces the need for interventions (i.e. labor induction, forceps assisted delivery)
- The mother and her birth companion often feel a greater connection with each other and the infant
- Improved breastfeeding success